Top Image Mesa County Home
Mesa County Sheriff's Office
Support Services Division
Records - Frequently Asked Questions 

  • (Please click on the questions to view the answers)

  •  Are motorcycle riders required to wear helmets?

    Yes, riders under the age of 18 are required by Colorado law to wear a helmet. However, all riders are required to wear eye protection. In addition, passengers must be seated behind the rider, and their feet must be able to rest on foot pegs.

     Are Parks open 24 hours a day?

    • Parks managed by the City of Grand Junction are closed from midnight to 5:00 a.m.
    • Parks managed by Mesa County are closed from dusk to dawn with the exception of Long Family Memorial Park, which is closed from 11:00 p.m. to 5:00 a.m.
    • Parks manage by the City of Fruita are closed from 11:00 p.m. to 6:00 a.m.
    • Parks managed by Palisade are closed from dusk to dawn.

     Are there grace periods for expired driver's licenses and license plates?

    There is no grace period for an expired driver's license. There is a one month grace period for an expired license plate. For example, if your plate sticker expires January then you have until the last day of February before it expires.

     Can a person fire a weapon on private property?

    In most circumstance, no person can fire a weapon or pellet gun within the city limits of Grand Junction, except by special permission from the Chief of Police. A weapon can be fired outside the city limits of Grand Junction in any zone not designated as a "no-shooting" zone.

     Can I carry a gun on my person?

    Yes, as long as it is not concealed. To carry a concealed weapon, you need to possess a concealed handgun permit issued by the Mesa County Sheriff, to Mesa County residents. You can begin the concealed weapon process by clicking here.

     Can I transport a gun in my car?

    You may transport a gun in your vehicle throughout the state without restriction.

     Can out of county bonds be revoked at the Mesa County Detention Facility?

    No. Bonds must be revoked in the county in which they were issued.

     Can people ride in the bed of a pickup truck?

    All children under 4 years of age must be seated inside the vehicle in a child safety seat. Children ages 4 to 15 may ride in the bed of the truck only if accompanied by an adult and if all passenger seats inside the truck are occupied by other children. Children aged 16 and older may ride in the bed without restrictions.

     Do I need to register my scooter or moped?

    If the engine is less than 50 cc's, the vehicle does not need to be registered. If the engine is 50 cc's or more, the vehicle must be registered. A rider must possess a valid driver's license with motorcycle endorsement to operate a scooter or moped.

     How can a bond be revoked?

    The person wishing to revoke a bond is responsible for bringing the defendant to the Mesa County Detention Facility before the bond can be revoked. A person must be physically confined in the jail before a bond revocation can be completed.

    When a person is brought in, s/he must be physically present in the secure area of the jail before the revocation can be signed. A bonding agent can walk a fugitive into the release area of the jail and Booking personnel will process the bond revocation. All other individuals must bring the defendant to the Mesa County Sheriff's Office Detention Lobby. Records personnel will provide a Bond Revocation Form to be filled out by the person who posted the bond. A Detention Deputy will then take the defendant into custody and the revocation process will be completed by Booking personnel.

     How can a person bond out of jail?

    There are several ways to post a bond:

    • Cash Bond - Cash or certified funds can only be paid for this bond. The full amount of the bond is given to Records personnel at the Sheriff's Office. The payee will receive a receipt for the bond amount. The return court date, if any, will be written on the receipt. The inmate will have to sign the bond form and will also be given the return court date. The cash bond will then be forwarded to the court. The bond money is returnable to the payee minus fines and costs when the case is closed.
    • Surety Bond - This bond can be processed through a bonding agent (bondsman). Sheriff's Office personnel cannot answer any questions regarding bonding agents or what they charge to post a bond.
    • Property Bond - Property can be put up in lieu of a bond. This process must be completed at the Court Clerks Office located at the Mesa County Justice Center.
    • Personal Recognizance Bond (PR) - This bond requires no money and the inmate/defendant is required to sign a promise to appear in court.
    • Personal Recognizance Co-Sign Bond - This is a bond that and additional person must sign to show they will take responsibility if the inmate/defendant misses a court date. Persons wishing to co-sign must qualify at the Court Clerk's Office located at the Mesa County Justice Center. The court clerk will fill out the paperwork and the co-signer must bring that paperwork to the Sheriff's Office. This bond can also be posted by a bonding agent or paid in cash.

     How old must a child be to stay home alone?

    Though there are no laws regarding this matter, a good rule of thumb is 10 to 12 years old, depending on their specific level of maturity.

     Is there a curfew in Mesa County?

    • Fruita - 9:30 p.m. for children under the age of 16
    • Palisade - 11:00 p.m. for children under the age of 18
    • Grand Junction - None; however, all city parks are closed between midnight and 5:00 a.m.
    • Mesa County - None

     Is there a noise ordinance in Mesa County?

    Yes. Noise ordinances prohibit unnecessary, unusual, or unusually loud noises during designated hours. Law enforcement personnel are empowered to make a determination as to whether a particular noise constitutes a public nuisance.

     Is there anyone who will remove bees from my property?

    The Tri-River extension service (970) 244-1834 maintains a list of people willing to remove bees. If they are closed and you cannot wait until they open, contact dispatch at (970) 242-6707.

     What are the age and weight requirements for child safety seats?

    • Children less than 1 year of age and weighing less than 20 pounds must ride in an appropriate rear-facing child safety seat.
    • Children ages 1 to 4 years of age who weigh between 20 lbs. to 40 lbs. must be restrained in a forward-facing child seat with harness
    • Children who weigh over 40lbs., or are at least 4 years old, must be restrained in a booster seat until they are 55" tall.
    • Many booster seats now have weight limits of 100 lbs. Safety experts recommend keeping children in a booster seat as long as possible
    • For more information visit the Mesa County Health Department website

     What can I do about an abandoned vehicle?

    Vehicles parked on the street that are not properly registered and/or appear inoperable may be considered abandoned. Abandoned vehicles on private property are the responsibility of the property owner.

    • In Grand Junction, contact the Grand Junction Police Department at (970) 242-6707
    • In Fruita, contact the Fruita Police Department at (970) 858-3008
    • In Palisade, contact the Palisade Police Department at (970) 464-5601
    • In all other areas of Mesa County, contact the Colorado State Patrol's Montrose Communication Center at (970) 249-4392

     What can I do about junk in my neighbor's yard?

    • In Grand Junction, contact code enforcement at (970) 244-1583
    • In Fruita, contact the Fruita Police Department at (970) 858-3008
    • In Palisade,contact the Palisade Police Department at (970) 464-5601
    • In all other areas of Mesa County, contact Zoning Enforcement at (970) 244-1744

     What is the cost to post a bond?

    The Mesa County Sheriff's Office charges a $10.00 bond fee for each bond processed.

     Where can I get a certified VIN inspection?

    A certified VIN inspection is required when there is no title or registration on a vehicle and can be obtained by contacting the Colorado State Patrol at (970) 858-2250.

     Where can I get a vehicle weighed?

    Mesa Feed (970) 242-7762 located at 715 S. 7th Street.

     Where can I obtain a concealed weapons permit?

    Applications and additional information may be obtained from the records department at (970) 244-3500 or visit the Concealed Carry Permit section of our web site.

     Where is a bond posted?

    All bonds must be posted at the Mesa County Sheriff's Office with the exception of a property bond. This process must be started at the Court Clerks Office located at the Mesa County Justice Center and is completed at the Mesa County Sheriff's Office.

     Who can I report possible scams to?

    Citizens should report fraud, scams or identity theft to the appropriate law enforcement agency, by calling non-emergency dispatch at (970) 242-6707, unless you are in an emergency situation and then you should call 911. If you prefer to send and email, as a heads-up to our agency about a possible scam, but you are not a victim, you can use:

     Who handles barking dog complaints?

    The Fruita Police Department (970) 858-3008 and Palisade Police Department (970) 464-5601 handle barking dog complaints within their city limits. Mesa County Animal Control (970) 242-4646 handles all areas of Mesa County, including the city limits of Grand Junction. The Grand Junction Police Department and the Mesa County Sheriff's Office will respond to barking dog complaints after business hours.

     Who installs alcohol monitors on DUI vehicles?

    Contact National Interlock Service (800) 475-5490 or Guardian Interlock Systems (303) 753-9200.

     Who removes dead animals from the road?

    Animal Control (970) 242-4646 can help with most small animals. The Colorado Division of Wildlife and Colorado Department of Transportation [both dispatched through the Colorado State Patrol at (970) 249-4392] usually handle large animals and those on the interstate and highways.

Mesa County Logo with Text  Follow Us On  
Facebook Icon   Twitter Icon   Email Icon 
        Mesa County Home           Comments/Feedback          Copyright/Disclaimer/Privacy           Webmaster